- Parent Category: Site Content
14 Feb 2010
- Published: 14 February 2010
What Is Inflammation
Inflammation is the body's basic response to injury, irritation, or infection.
The body responds to injury, infection, foreign subsistence such as bacteria and viruses by releasing chemicals and white blood cells into the area in an attempt to rid the body of these foreign substances. This release of chemicals increases the blood flow to the area and may result in redness and warmth. Some of the chemicals cause leakage of fluid into the tissues, resulting in swelling. The inflammatory process may stimulate nerves and cause pain.
It is for the purpose of initiating tissue repair.
Inflammation and Autoimmune Disease
The immune system can sometimes malfunctions, interpreting the body's own tissues as foreign and producing antibodies or immune cells that target and attack particular cells or tissues of the body. This response is called an autoimmune reaction. It results in inflammation and tissue damage. Such effects may constitute an autoimmune disorder, but some people produce such small amounts of autoantibodies that an autoimmune disorder does not occur.
Inflammation can also be caused by autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system responds to normal tissues as if they are infected or somehow abnormal and causes damage to its own tissues.
Causes of Inflammation
Toxins, allergies, autoimmune diseases, infections, acid-base disorders, injury, and free radical damage can trigger or cause inflammation.
Heart and cardio-vascular disease may be a result of inflammation in the linings of the arteries.
Symptoms of Inflammation
Symptoms of inflammation include pain, swelling, red coloration to the area, and sometimes loss of movement or function.
Food that Promote Inflammation
Food high in sugar and processed foods promote inflammation.
Food and Supplements that Reduces Inflammation
A good diet of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and high in fiber reduces inflammation.
Evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil, and fish oil, Omega-3 essential fatty acids are very powerful anti-inflammatory and olive oil is another type of oil that reduces inflammation.
Pineapple contains bromelain and papaya contains papain, both enzymes that reduce swelling and inflammation.
Citrus fruits can reduce acid-base disorders.
Turmeric (curcumin), Bromelain, Boswellia, Aloe vera, Bilbery, Cat’s claw, Garlic, Vitamin C can help reduce inflammation and all anti-oxidants and destroyers of free radicals can help reduce inflammation.
Good connectivity tissue repair supplements such as B complex, Zinc, Silica, Horsetail, and Cat’s claw may also help; speak to a natural healing professional.
Inflammation: UltraWellness Lesson 2: Inflammation & Immune Balance - Dr Hyman (article link)
A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST can save your life. It is called C-reactive protein and it measures the degree of hidden inflammation in your body. This is important because almost every modern disease is caused by or affected by hidden inflammation, including heart disease, cancer, obesity, and dementia as well as arthritis, autoimmune disease, allergies, and digestive disorders.
UltraWellness Lesson 2: Inflammation & Immune Balance
Inflammation: ANTI CANCER A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, Ph.D brain cancer survivor. - Dr Oz Show (article link)
"Alcohol by irritation creates inflammation and every cancer requires inflammation to stimulate the multiplication of cells, and to invade neighboring tissue."
- Inflammation needs to be reduced in the body linked to nutrition, exercise, stress management, avoiding contaminants like tobacco, alcohol, and chemicals that can stimulate inflammation.
- Things that we can do to help slow down the growth of cancer in the body include eating more vegetables, reducing sugar, eating more fatty fish omega 3, and drinking 3 cups of green tea a day.
"so Dave, inflammation is one of the things you deal with a lot, I know that's how you beat cancer, if you had it it's how you prevent it at the beginning." - Dr Oz
- One of the ways to reduce inflammation in the colon is to cut down on red meat, red meat stimulates inflammation in the colon.
- By eating 80% vegetables the good plant based chemicals will help reduce the inflammation.
"If you have risk of cancer in the family, an aspirin a day, it can help reduce the inflammation that we think is linked to this." - Dr Oz
The Dr. Oz Show : "Cancer-Proof Your Life" - CTV
Inflammation: Secret Benefits of Garlic - ABC News (video)
- Garlic lowers inflammation, inflammation is linked to premature aging and diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, autoimmune disease, and inflammatory disease like arthritis.
- In one study women who took garlic had lower levels ostoarthritis in the hip.
- The antioxidents in garlic prevent oxidation and protects the heart.
- Garlic contains natural anti-bacterail, anti-viral, anti-fungal properties, and boosts the immune system.
- The sulfer compounds relax the blood vessels, opens up circulation, less stress on the heart, lowers blood pressure, increase circulation, the flow of oxigen and nutriants.
About.com - Guidance. Not Guesswork
MayoClinic.com - Mayo Clinic medical information and tools for healthy living
Merck.com - The Merck Manuals: A trusted source for medical information available free online
UltraWellness.com - Functional Medicine and UltraWellness: Solving the Epicemic of Chronic Disease